Types of Wine
There are many different types of wine to choose from and wine can come from various regions all over the world. In general terms you can choose from the following wines:
1. Red wines - red wines are coloured red because the grape skins are left on during the wine-making process. These wines come in all kinds of varieties and tastes from dry to sweet. Popular varieties here include Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir and Zinfandel.
2. White wines - white wines are white because they are generally made from white grapes. Some varieties, however, can be made from red grapes. Again, there are many varieties of white wines to choose from and they range in taste from dry to sweet. Popular varieties here include Chardonnay, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc and Gewurztraminer.
3. Rose wines - these wines are made from red grapes but have a little contact with the grape skins which gives them a pinkish tint rather than a red one. Again varieties and tastes can vary here.
4. Sparkling wines/Champagne - these wines are not still like other wines but are manufactured to contain bubbles. These wines can be manufactured all over the world and range in taste from dry to sweet.
5. Dessert wines - dessert wines are also known as fortified wines as they often have extra alcohol added to them. They are usually fairly sweet in taste.